Anyway - was a good start and after a shower went up to the hotel's dining room for breakfast - Glorious!!! Fruit, cereals, toast, eggs to order and some strange looking but tasty bacon & sausage - the basic staples, but all amazingly fresh. I must stress on the fruit. In Tanzania the Papaya & Mangos are to die for and I simply couldn't stop eating (that also might explain some rush trips to the bathroom later on when thinking about it!).
|First Marangu Breakfast|
|The Fruit 😍|
|A small glimpse of the mountain|
When we all gathered, our guides (these are guys which will be waiting outside the hotel grounds to see if anyone wants some guided tour - easy to find, cheap and they are quite knowledgable indeed)
The target location was "Ndoro" (meaning Waterfall) and it is found through some winding paths between banana plantations and coffee bean fields, which are quite abundant in the area. The guides told us that the waterfall is a living proof of how important Kilimanjaro is for the people, since the water coming from its glaciers makes the land so fertile. This immediately makes me wonder how things would change if, or mostly when, the glacier would vanish, since unfortunately this is receding with an amazingly alarming rate.
|Pathway to the waterfall|
|The river - yes you come down from up there!|
Our lunch venue was a restaurant near the Marangu Market area. Well the place was a room furnished with plastic chairs and tables and here we were offered a meal of BBQ meat and bananas. Honestly, the meat wasn't great and the banana, the way it was cooked, I guess its very much an acquired taste.
|Helping ourselves to BBQ meat & bananas|
|Slightly charred meat and grilled banana :)|
|Avocado, Pineapple, Mango & Watermelon|
Here we were given the instructions for the next day (early morning) as follows:
- 7am sharp Breakfast.
- Have all things ready - Day Pack and Duffle Bag. The latter cannot be more than 15kg and is thoroughly weighed - anything extra you need to carry in your day pack (which is more than fair!)
- Prepare luggage with extra stuff to be kept in hotels luggage room.
- Prepare water bottles and ensure you have 3. These are to be filled with filtered water (which is very safe, but you can always use sterilisation tabs to be sure. Important to try these before as the taste can be somewhat strange)
- Meet the Guides and the Porters.
- Ensure a last dash to the bathrooms since the drive is long (& you won't be seeing one for 7 days!)
|Post Briefing relaxation|