Varanasi

We arrived at Varanasi at about 8 in the morning. The train journey wasn't bad, we actually slept and had no bugs infesting our bunk beds so all was fine.

When we walked out of the wagon in the usual river of people we found a guy asking if we were Wil & Daphne and he was the person who would take us to our hotel. We needed a shower badly but still wanted to start seeing parts of this holy city.

Our hotel was outside of Varanasi about 6 km from the ghats. It's actually a good thing as the hotels are nicer and more comfy, plus the area is a restricted are at night thus reducing the criminality rate. Our hotel was great Hotel Andana if I recall well and we stayed here for 3 nights.

So after changing and freshening up we met our driver in the afternoon who took us to visit some temples - one at the university and one in the centre of the city in which a priest, after giving me a blessing and tying a cheap string round my neck asked for a 100 rupees - I declined and when I offered to give back the string he gladly accepted my 10 rupee offer - so beware! After the visits we went back to the hotel since in the morning we had to wake up early for a boat ride on the river ganga.



- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

Comments